From the MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia: Psychosis: a severe mental condition characterized by a loss of contact with reality.
Psychosis: a severe mental condition characterized by a loss of contact with reality.
The symptoms of psychosis include:
- Loss of touch with reality
- Seeing, hearing, feeling, or otherwise perceiving things that are not there
- Disorganized thought and/or speech
- Emotion is exhibited in an abnormal manner
- Extreme excitement
- Depression and sometimes suicidal thoughts
- Unfounded fear/suspicion
- Mistaken perceptions
- False beliefs
Basically what we're talking about here is a mental illness that can prevent a person from functioning normally. If the condition is left untreated, there is a significant possibility of self-harm or harm to others. People experiencing psychosis may report hallucinations or delusional beliefs, and may exhibit personality changes and disorganized thinking. This may be accompanied by unusual or bizarre behavior, as well as difficulty with social interaction.
Now obviously, I'm no doctor, but if Sanjay Gupta can pretend to be a doctor on CNN, I feel pretty comfortable pretending to be a psychologist on the internet and I'm saying that psychosis is a complex and severe mental disorder. The clinical definition, identification, and classification is best left to actual professionals, but it doesn't take Sigmund Freud and his cigar to figure out that if a person is manifestly, obviously, blatantly and repeatedly meeting ten out of ten defining diagnostic criteria for the batshit gibbering but-I-am-Napoleon fuzzy wuzzies, then you should be getting that person some serious help of the rubber room and Thorazine variety.
March 27, 2008:
The patient and his perception of reality: US President George Bush hails Iraqi leader for "Remarkable" progress. This isn't me making snarky comments, this is the situation as the patient sees it, in his own words. Watch the video, tell me I'm the crazy one here.
Google results for Iraq for the last week. This search-results set includes both Liberal and Conservative biased reports, from US, Coalition Nation, Uninvolved Nation, and Hostile Nation sources. Taken together they give a testable and accurate picture of reality on the ground. And, they all agree on one thing when it comes to the situation in Iraq - see if you can figure out what it is.
Let's do the math, shall we?
- Loss of touch with reality? [Check]
- Seeing, hearing, feeling, or otherwise perceiving things that are not there? [Check]
- Disorganized thought and/or speech? [Check and Check]
- Emotion is exhibited in an abnormal manner? [Big Check]
- Extreme excitement? [Varies - half Check]
- Confusion? [Check, Check, and Check]
- Depression and sometimes suicidal thoughts? [Check and
- Unfounded fear/suspicion [Check and Check]
- Mistaken perceptions (illusions) [Check]
- False Beliefs (delusions) [Check]
Total: 95% positive is we're being generous, 100% if we're not.
Engaged in behavior harmful to others? [Big fucking Checkaroo]
Unable to function normally in society? [Check]
Bizarre Behavior in social situations? [Check]
Yeah, I'm the crazy one. Hand me the butterfly net, will you?