…I learned from Conservative Pundits.
What if we raised our kids the same way Neocons want to run America?
No, seriously, what if we did?
Now, don’t go getting all bunched up in the shorts, I’m not talking about conservatives in general, I’m talking about those ultra right-wing talking heads.
Rush called the President a “man-child” “inexperienced” and “in over his head” driven by his “world class ego” (one presumes Rush is the expert on such matters). Cheney said Obama is “dithering” on Afghanistan (but apparently moving too quick on healthcare). Glenn and Chuck Norris are advocating armed revolution (in order to preserve real America). Palin is in New York, endorsing some uber rightwing loon over her own party’s candidate. Sean is obsessed with Facists like some later day Tail Gunner Joe McCarthy. You can’t read the paper or turn on the TV or the radio without hearing one of these people bemoaning how the country is going straight to liberal atheist hell in a socialist hand basket made in communist China, how real Americans and real America are lost, how their rights are being trampled, how embarrassed they are to live in a United States where the President was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize instead of being burned in effigy in the streets of friendly and hostile countries both. And there are hundreds of thousands of people hanging on every word, ready for the revolution, ready to take back America for real Americans when the liberals come to pry the guns from their cold dead fingers.
You really have to wonder about these people, don’t you?
You have wonder if these people are for real – they talk the talk, but do they really walk the walk with two right feet? I mean, really? Think about it for a minute, these pundits, they’ve got some pretty specific ideas of why progressives and liberals and moderates and basically anybody who isn’t Ronald Reagan’s handpicked red-state war child shouldn’t be running the country.
You have to wonder what kind of children they’re raising.
My parents taught my brother and myself to look out for others, to be courteous, to share, to take responsibility, to be kind, to be helpful, winning isn’t everything, pick up after yourself, brains over brawn. But, reading through the neocon blogs, news stories, columns, and talk show transcripts, after listening to these people for the last year, I see some common threads and I wonder what The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Parenting would look like if it was penned by these people.
- Never, ever apologize. Never show humility. Other people make mistakes, you don’t.
- There is no such thing as shared interests, there is only your interests.
- People who believe different than you are the enemy. Period.
- A stitch in time saves nine - but tax refunds buy votes now.
- Never compromise. Don’t cooperate. Meeting somebody halfway shows only weakness.
- If you’re not the leader, go rogue
- Violence is always the answer. Compassion is for suckers.
- If you don’t have anything nice to say, you can always get a job with Fox News.
- Don’t think, ACT! Deliberation and consideration are unpatriotic.
- Real friends tell you only what you want to hear.
- Never pick up after yourself.
- You are the center of the universe. The wants and needs of others are of no consideration.
- Winning is everything. It doesn’t matter how, win at all costs
- There’s never a wrong time to play the Nazi card.
- The end justifies the means, always.
- Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day - and then he’ll be dependent on handouts from the State, that way leads to socialism.
Seriously, would you want to know a kid raised like this? No?
Frankly I doubt the Neocons would either.
So why would they want their country to run on that same philosophy?